Sunday, July 27, 2008

In sickness and in health...

I know it's been a little while since I've updated (it happens). We've been sick again (or is that still?). Life has been pretty shitty of late with both of us feeling unwell and on medication. I've been (a bit of) a bitch to live with (hormones...need I say more?) and I don't care what anyone says, when you're sick, you get grumpy. And when you're sick on and off for as long as I have been, you really do get the shits. If it's not one thing, it's another. And you get sad. You just want one day where you feel half decent. That day was today (for me, not him), but the weather here is glum and that's not really helping me feel better. And when he's not feeling good, it sucks. I hate that I can't help in any way (just as he hates it when he can't help me feel better).

On a slightly different (but not-so-different) note, I'm getting healthier. Yeah, I know that sounds strange given the rant I've just had on being sick, but I am. For health reasons, I need to lose weight. This is coming along nicely, and I'm pleased that I am starting to fit into old clothes of mine that have been too tight (for too long). I'm starting to look better and feel better (both physically and mentally).

I went shopping the other night, and was (extremely) pleased that for the first time, in god knows how long, I didn't have to go to the "big gals" section of clothing or underwear! And I now weigh less than what I did when I graduated from high school (big achievement, and the first weight-loss goal of mine).

So far, I've managed to lose (read: get rid of) 13.5kg (or 29.76lbs). It hasn't been easy at times, and I still eat crap (i.e. chocolate, chips etc), only now I eat less of it and know when I've had enough. Previously, I've heard people say "Nothing tastes as good as being healthy/skinny feels" and when I heard that I just thought "What a load of fucking shit! You can't tell me that it feels THAT good!". Well I can tell you it certainly does. And I honestly never thought that I would agree with them (how times have changed).

Now, apart from knowing I'm healthier, I'm going to live longer and I'm feeling better....what's the best part about my weight loss?

My confidence boost for sure. There really is nothing like losing weight (especially when it needs to be done) to give my ego a little kick in the right direction. I now walk down the street with a spring in my step. I no longer walk along looking at my feet, avoiding eye contact with people. I walk tall and proud, I make eye contact and I smile (that smile that He loves) and I know that I look good. (See...told you my ego's been given a boost. But not in a look-at-me/give-me-all-your-attention kinda way).

I'm not skinny, I'm still curvy and voluptuous. I know there are plenty of other women out there that have better figures than me, and are prettier than me. But you know what? I don't really care. Why? Because there always will be. I am not delusional in thinking I am the bees knees. I am not perfect and never will be perfect. However, I'm on my way to reaching my goals. I'm doing this for me and me alone. Sure it's great that I'm now better looking to Him (even though He's always loved me just the way I am). But ultimately, this is something I need to do for me.

I just can't wait until we're both feeling better so we can take advantage of my weight loss and have some awesome fun in the bedroom!

6 comments:

  1. Hi lucy,
    i'm sorry to hear you've Both been ill but glad that you're starting to feel better, hope you Both feel that way soon!

    You wrote: I'm not skinny, I'm still curvy and voluptuous. I know there are plenty of other women out there that have better figures than me, and are prettier than me.

    It's unfortunate for us that we judge ourselves by what others appear to look like to us.

    You sound like a pretty positive person in this post one who's working hard to be what you want to be and i think that's amazing and shows great strength and beauty. i think it's sad that we look at others then judge ourselves. i hate that i do this as well, it's something i'm definetly going to work on!
    Thank you!
    Cyber Hugs sent your way.
    s bootsie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi lucy

    I hope you feel better soon...That is a fantastic weight loss achievment...

    My weight loss seems to have gone on strike...

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone.

    Edit to the post: I've come down with a cold and believe I've (unintentionally) given it to him as well. She sighs and says to the universe "Enough already. Please, just give us a break!"


    Bootsie,
    Thanks for your kind thoughts and cyber hugs. And you're right...it is unfortunate that we judge ourselves (and others) by our perceptions. But, alas, it comes as second nature now I think. And at the end of the day, we've always been pitted against one another and in competition haven't we? Think back to at school etc. Anyway...it's something I'm working on too.

    Karen,
    Thanks for the well wishes...we hope we feel better soon. And thank you for the positive comment about my weight loss! Keep working at it, I'm sure yours will stop striking soon.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed with your weight loss! I'm happy for you! I hope your health issues turn around and you're feeling great soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you guys aren't feeling well. I had my wisdom teeth out about three weeks ago and haven't felt 100% since. I know the feeling well. You'll get there and it is great that you have someone who at least understands there with you.

    Congratulations on your weight loss! I've always tried really hard not to let my happiness or anything else about me be defined by a number on the scale. With that said, I still get a thrill when I step on one and the number has gone down. Losing weight can be a real chore for some, but it is wonderful that you've worked hard and are starting to see the rewards of that effort! Congrats again sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! That's not an easy accomplishment. And it's great that you're losing weight for the right reasons and feeling good about it. Hope you both get better (ALL better) soon!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. Constructive criticism welcome, flames ignored.